Monday, December 26, 2005

SURVIVOR: Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson sends in his experience:

Rick, somehow I got to your website today...here is my story, perhaps we will meet this weekend ?

I was a laying in bed in the Ban Thai resort on Patong Beach, my friend was showering as we heard this huge noise, a fight? I looked out of our upgraded first floor room to the pool /patio and saw nothing but water, filled with small fish, and floating sundries. A broken pipe was my first thought, I pulled out bottles of shampoo trying to save the pool guy more work from the clean up. It just got worse and worse, run to the second floor came a yell in a foreign language, I ran thru our room and we dashed up the back flight of stairs as wave 2 or 3 swept around our hotel..I went into the water to pull out a man, let me get you to your room I said, this is not my hotel he responded, where did you come from?, I was just walking on the beach and now Im here came his response thru many thankful tears, his legs were mangled, I wrapped him in a bed sheet from a toppled maids cart and set him in the lobby, I never saw him again when I returned a boat was sitting where the lobby bench had been.I walked out and took photos of Starbucks(same as your shots), we stood there at the same exact same time the day before spending too much on expensive coffee now it was empty, not even a cash register..and more spooky.... no people, where was everyone? We flew out the next day after spending the night on the other side of the island with Thai friends. I flew home, two weeks later I brokedown during a tsunami benefit as I reviewed my pictures again and again. I took a month off work, got intensive therapy and support from friends, and meds, and became a mental hermit for a long time.

I have returned currently in BKK and off to Phuket 12/25 for the anniversary, Ill be in the red and white target shirt,.... same bed, same room, same hotel trying to chase away the memories that have haunted me for the past year. Mark Nelson
Christmas 2005

4 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hEy--- a short and swEeT j0urnal!

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Thanks for the story it really helped me. I'm doing a project in LA for school on Tsunamis. So Thank You very much for your story it really helped!

 
At 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi am very happy tht u let u use ur story i need it for ma tsunami report for ma scottish school.thx alot mate and becarefull when u pick a holiday next time :)lol

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very touching story I am to using it in an school project so thnx a lot

 

Post a Comment

<< Home